Saturday, June 30, 2012

Product Review: Fake Bake Self Tanning Products


My father is straight off the boat Irish which has left my life full of culture, ironic sarcasm, and very, very pale skin. I've always been jealous of the girls that could sit out in the sun for ten minutes and return with a beautiful, golden brown tan. My skin turns that lobster shade of red or freckles, neither of which is the same thing as a tan. In a quest to try to achieve a golden glow without visiting tanning beds, (which are terrible for your skin!) roasting my self in the sun (also not safe) and avoiding spray tanning booths (they terrify me!) I have tested and tried out self tanners from the drug store shelves to the most expensive ones retailed at Sephora. I've never really quite found one that works, either leaving me looking a little tiger striped, too orange, or just unnatural.

The Fake Bake Airbrush Instant Self Tan is the first one that truly dazzled me with the results! Not only is the color beautiful, natural and bronze, it was super easy to use! I tend to like lotions or gels better for ease of application, but the 360 degree nozzle was amazing. I could spray holding the can upside down to reach my back, sideways, backwards or any which way. The spray came out with ease and didn't sputter at all! It dried really quickly too- almost in minutes. The reaction from the staff was enough to keep me spray tanning for life. When I came in the next day after using Fake Bake's Airbrush and The Face Self Tan  they all exclaimed how radiant, tan, beautiful and amazing I looked! They literally couldn't believe I did it myself. I'll think I'll be keeping up with this all year...

Here are my tips for the best application!
  • For the best results, always shower, shave and exfoliate (our Harmony Body Scrub is my new go-to for exfoliating) before self tanning! 
  • Do not moisturize before self tanning! The tan will not adhere and work on your skin, the moisturizer creates a barrier that the self tanner can't penetrate; so...
  • DO apply a little bit of moisturizer on places where you do not want the tan.. elbows, knees, top of hands, ankles... Skin is drier here and will come out darker if not pretreated.
  • Two light applications are better than one heavy one. 
  • Airbrush Self Tan comes with two purple gloves, I put these on after my application and rub/buff in the self tan in circular motions to ensure a streak free look 
  • When applying The Face Self Tan, definitely wear gloves! I made the mistake of applying with my hands and my palms turned a very very dark brown which I was able to get off with dish soap and a good scrub... but save yourself the hassle!
  • If using the Gradual Self Tan Lotion; I recommend rubbing in a circular motion to make sure you don't create any harsh lines or streaking.
  • Practice makes perfect! If you are tanning for an event try it out a 3-4 days before hand so you can correct any missed spots.
  • Don't fret if your tan looks slightly blotchy or uneven after your application. Once you shower the next day it miraculously evens itself out. 
  • Self tan in the evening- the longer you wait before you shower the darker your tan will be! And with this formula I had absolutely no rub off on my sheets! 
  • Stay moisturized! To keep your tan longer, moisturize every day ideally using the Fake Bake Tan Enhancing Moisturizer. It has gold glisteners in it- great to enhance the look of your tan or create a cool golden glow even if  you haven't self tanned!
  • Stay safe! Use an SPF every single day. Having a Self Tan doesn't protect you from the sun. Try out Fake Bake's Sol Survivor SPF 30! It has antioxidants to help prevent free radical damage and is specially formulated to use over Fake Bake. 
Stay tuned for before and after pictures! Happy tanning everyone! ~Richael

No comments:

Post a Comment